A tasty (alcoholic) remedy for colds, packed with vitamin C. Elderberries are on the trees around September time.
You will need:
- A large bowl of fresh elderberries (something like 20 heads)
- 70ml bottle of brandy
- Small jar of runny honey
- Large jar
- Wash the elderberries and remove all berries from their stalks.
- Fill your jar with berries.
- Pour over the honey.
- Fill jar to brim with brandy.
- Leave your jar in a dark place for six weeks, shaking every day.
- After six weeks, strain the brandy off the berries – you can use these as a topping for pudding or ice cream, yum – and bottle up your syrup.
That’s it! Keep in the fridge and take a few spoonfuls before bed when you feel a cold coming on.
Note: This is obviously very alcoholic, so use with care!